Riksteatern was established 75 years ago during the 1933/34 season. Today, it is one of Sweden’s largest theatres and the hub of Swedish stage art.
Riksteatern is a non-profit organisation owned by its members, who live all over Sweden. On the national level, Riksteatern is funded to 80 percent by the Swedish government. The remaining 20 percent are contributed in the form of fees and other external financing. The government grant is regulated with overall goals for the activities, such as the stipulation that we perform plays all over the country.
We are Sweden’s leading nationwide theatre and we perform all over the country as well as abroad.
Riksteatern is a non-governmental organisation comprising non-profit theatre associations from all over Sweden. There is a Riksteater association in almost every municipality. The associations acquire and arrange theatre performances both from Riksteatern and other producers. About 42,000 people are currently members of Riksteatern.
Our goal is for every person living in Sweden to be able to see our performances. That’s why we travel around the country, each year visiting some 300 locations from large cities to small towns.
Every year, Riksteatern takes around 60 plays on tour. We perform at theatres, in people’s parks, at community centres, festivals and schools. We want everyone to find something to their taste and therefore offer classic plays and newly written ones as well as dance acts, music performances and children’s theatre. The year of 2007 Riksteatern reached more than 1,2 million visitors through 10,000 performances. The world famous Cullberg Ballet and Stockholm’s oldest theatre house Södra Teatern are part of Riksteatern. Riksteatern also publishes the independent theatre magazine nummer.se.
145 83 Norsborg
T. 08-531 99 100
F. 08-531 83 012