Kibla is the first presentation and production institution in Slovenia dealing with multimedia and intermedia art, and which has a yearlong cultural programme.
We still work with pure classical (“excluded”) media but in a different context; we use them to support historical continuity of visual art and a bigger aesthetization and integration of electronic media. We support principles that lead to complex systems of multimedia presentation. We also produce, or respectively coproduce, cultural artistic projects, and publish presentation materials.
Famous Australian artist Stelarc has said of KIBLA: “this is the best cyber space in the world”, the great Eduardo Kac, who works at the Art Institute of Chicago, said ‘something like this doesn't exist in United States”, and Joseph Tabby, university professor and writer, said “I came to visit Slovenia, because I've heard about KIBLA”. NeDelo (the biggest Slovenian newspaper) wrote in its Sunday issue: “Maribor Kibla is by its space possibilities and its conceptual structure, that combines gallery, spaces for performance, specialised bookshop and cyber café undoubtedly the most exemplary project of a kind”. The Romanian newspaper Clujenaui wrote: “KIBLA is the most important and the biggest multimedia centre in Eastern Europe”. Dr. Janez Strehovec, the leading Slovenian new media theoretician, stated: “Kibla is the main Slovenian centre for new media art (and theory)”. Artist, scientist, researcher and professor of the University Caxias do Sul, Brazil, Dr. Diana Domingues noted: “Kibla is a very impressive environment and you are the soul of this paradise in Slovenia”. World guru in advertising Dragan Sakan pointed out: “KIBLA stimulates reality, which is no longer traditional but multimedial. Also ideas are not local anymore, but global. The world needs fresh ideas. The world needs global institutions like KIBLA!”. Franci Pivec, master of information sciences, claimed: “KIBLA is a big phenomena. For me it's one of the central institutions, which Maribor gained”.
In 2008 ACE Kibla was among the winners of the European Seal of E-Excellence awarded by the European Multimedia Forum. The European Seal of E-Excellence rewards ICT and digital media companies with an excellent track record in innovativeness of the products / services as well as excellence in the marketing. Past winners included Alcatel Space, Amadeus, Brainstorm Multimedia, EVS, Navicore, Nokia, OpenBC, Strato, Young Digital Planet, Zanox and many more.
Multimedia Centre (MMC) KIBLA was founded on the 4th of July 1996. Since the 16th of June 1998 MMC KIBLA staff has legal status as an Association for Culture and Education (ACE KIBLA).
Since the beginning, Kibla is in the process of intermedialization and digitalization of culture and art. We intensively encourage experimental and specific projects in the intermedia field, introduce creative and practical use of sophisticated technologies in the cultural field with the final (an at the same time utopian) goal to offer functional support of working nets that digitalize, present and decentralize cultural Slovenia and Europe. This is the way we understand the future.
KIBLA runs the following programmes:
- Space for art KIBELA – exhibitions, performances, concerts, theatre, lectures, symposiums, fairs, workshops – intermedia, multimedia, computer, performing and visual arts
- CYBER LAB - computer workshops, communication and information centre with free access to the Internet, info centre for students - everything about universities, studies, tests, grants, scholarships…supported by a reference data base.
- Bookshop ZA:MISEL (FOR:THOUGHT) humanistic and social sciences literature with discounts for students. Organising literary evenings, presentations on new editions…
- Publishing house (TOX)
- FOLIO – newspaper for contemporary art and culture
- Graphical Studio KIBLA.TIF for printed and electronic material with workshops and training courses
- VIDELA – digital video editing and workshops
- KIT – communication information point, a branch of Kibla’s Cyber café, E-point, educational programme (computer literacy, 3D programming, radio-amateur course, Linux, reading room, fairs…)
- Festivals – organization of 4 festivals annually – electronic music, art, education, literature
Association for Culture and Education (ACE) KIBLA
Ulica kneza Koclja 9
T. 00 386 2 229 40 21, 00 386 2 229 40 12
F. 00 386 2 229 40 20